|Mobile Terminal Software Architecture - Present and Future
S.Vijay Anand, General Manager - Technology, CTO Team
SASKEN Communication Technologies Limited, India
Date: Wednesday - June 27, 2007
Time: 6:00 - 9:30 PM
- Brief Overview on Mobile Handset architecture covering the major blocks and the software layers.
- Detailed functionalities of the Software layers like MMI Framework, Middleware components like BREW, J2ME and their importance in terms of developing Mobile applications.
- Understanding how to develop personalized services like Messaging, Video and Push-to-X services for 3G and GPRS Mobile Handhelds.
- Various Operating systems used in the Mobile Handset (Symbian, Windows Mobile 5.0 and Montavista Linux)
- Functional block diagram on the handset hardware and its functionalities (RF Front-end Transceiver, Baseband, Power Management Unit, Power Amplifier)
- Wireless Protocol Stack Architecture and its working principles (GSM/GPRS/UMTS/WLAN/CDMA2K/Wi-MAX)
- Call establishment scenarios like Voice call, Packet call & SMS.
- NEXT GEN Mobile Terminal Software architecture and its new protocols/layers:
- IMS Client Framework
- Handover Layer
- Cross-layer design
- 4G MAC layer
- Common Data link layer
- Unified Hardware Abstraction Layer
- How to ensure seamless mobility for continuous data transfer while the subscriber moves across various cellular networks during on-line service.
- How to provide smooth data transfer switching between various cellular networks based on user preferences and the available network resources.
- New Emerging Trends like Re-configuration Technology, NFC, DVB-H etc.,
This Tutorial will present a comprehensive coverage of Software & Hardware architecture of 2G/3G/B3G Mobile Terminals and focuses on the following major aspects:
- Understand the Software and Hardware architecture of Mobile Terminals
- Gain knowledge on various software layers functionalities.
- Learn the design and Implementation techniques of mobile applications/ protocol stacks/Reference Hardware for Mobile handhelds.
- Students and academics involved in Research on mobile communications.
- Developers of Wireless Applications
- Industry Professionals involved in Wireless Product Design.
Vijay Anand is currently working as a General Manager in SASKEN Communication Technologies Limited in CTO Team.
Vijay has 16+ years of experience in the field of Wireless Communications and Embedded systems. Vijay has published 5 research papers and filed 3 software patents on Mobile Technology.
Vijay Specialization includes executing Research projects like Multi-RAT Protocol Stack, Quality-of-Service Framework with Seamless Handover Support, Next GEN MMI / Application Framework, IMS Client Framework and Many Mobile Apps for GSM, CDMA & High End Mobile Devices.
SASKEN Communication Technologies Limited
General Manager - Technology, CTO Team.